Monday, September 12, 2005

Are You Really Blogging About Splash Screens?

Reading my javablogs email today I noticed 2 very similar posts. New Netbeans 5.0 Graphics and Cool New Netbeans Welcome Screen. Are you serious? Are you really blogging about splash screens? I'm not a Netbeans user but I can think of a hundred other Netbeans topics that are a lot more important than it's splash screen. But I guess this is where blogging has been going for some time. Can't think of anything important to blog about so I'll pick the most mundane meaningless topic possible. And here I am blogging about people blogging about Splash Screens. Oh well...

3 comments:

Lasse Koskela said...

Well, the only other thing worth blogging about would be Jemmy ;)

Seriously, though, good looks are important for an IDE. Maybe not the splash screen, but the user interface in general definitely. The last time I looked, NetBeans was so unattractive to even look at that I don't think I spent even 5 minutes trying it out before going back to my trusted Eclipse.

Then again, they say IDEA is the prettiest of all and it (4.0, 4.5) didn't last for more than an hour either so maybe "prettiness" isn't the primary factor either...

Gregg said...

Again, Netbeans has issues way beyong attractiveness that need to be addressed first. Performance being one of the major ones.

Eclipse, BAH! Can I do this? Oh, I need a plugin. What about that? Oh, I need another plugin? What? There are 5 different plugins that do the same thing? Which one should I use? BAH! ;)

Thomas Svennson said...

Never much of Netbeans fan myself. But I tried resently for fun. Wowee. Amazing. No plugins needed -- everything right in there. And performance no problem for me.